Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Hobbitville

(Entrance to Hobbitville)
I have always heard tales about a mysterious tiny village in Salt lake, where hobbits live. If you step foot on the land you are said to be chased off by these "little people" with rocks and pitch forks. I have even heard stories that it changes locations and is never in the same place. I decided to investigate this for myself...I didn't get far.

The location of Hobbitville isn't exactly a secret, and it does not change locations. You can even see it on Google maps. It is located at about 1850 South 1300 East on the east side of the street. It's actually name is "Allen Park."

With a little research I found the actual story:

This "little village" was originally built in the 1920's by a man that loved birds. He built little structures to keep them in. (I guess these could have been confused for little houses) He has since died and his widow still owns the property, She rents out the cottages for people to live in.

When I attempted to explore it, I only made it to the fountain just past the entrance before I was stopped and questioned by security:


"This is private property!"

"Who Are You?"

"You need to turn around and leave!"

From what I was able to see, the place seemed very interesting. There were many small monuments with random quotes on them that I did not recognize from any poem or story that I am familiar with.

My suggestion is to look at pictures online. I doubt they will give you a tour and you may risk a tresspassing ticket. However, my next goal is to find someone that is renting there and see if I can get them to show me around. I will keep you posted!

Here are some Photo's I was able to Find:

Google Maps:


Other Sites:







8 comments:

  1. So have you found anyone living there?? I need an update!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend that lives there. I have hung our with him in his cottage many times. It is a very interesting place. At night we woudl sit on his porch drinking beer and scare the highschool kids that were seaking around.
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, you need to subscribe to my blog and get back on yours. You haven't posted anything since May. Also, you should see if your friend still lives there, Maybe I can get a tour from him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty cool. I poked around online to see if I could find pictures of this place. I remember a friend showing md this place when I was back in H.S. In 1986. We were able to make a nice quiet drive through then. I thought it was a way cool place, but can understand how annoying it must get for the tenants. Then some people are just disrespectful.
    For some reason I remembered this place and wanted to show my family pictures. Thanks for posting these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard today that the police department often hang nearby to discourage looky-loos. Found out about it after telling friends we had gone to the Little Chocolatiers shop, Hatch Family Chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike are you guys midgets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not live there. The small buildings on the property are from some bird enclosures that once existed on the property. I am not were of any little people currently holding residence there. Current residents are of average height.

      Delete
    2. I do not live there. The small buildings on the property are from some bird enclosures that once existed on the property. I am not were of any little people currently holding residence there. Current residents are of average height.

      Delete